(Updated Nov 27, 2022)
Dr. Markus Borg
Main Affiliation: CodeScene AB
Current Position: Principal Researcher
Secondary Affiliation: Adjunct Lecturer, Dept. of Computer Science, Lund University
Email: markus.borg ~at~ codescene.com
Date of Birth: March 13, 1983
Education and Degrees
2015 – PhD in Software Engineering, Lund University
Department of Computer Science, Lund University, Sweden. Thesis: From Bugs to Decision Support – Leveraging the Historical Issue Reports in Software Evolution. Supervisors: Per Runeson and Björn Regnell Thesis opponent: Prof. Serge Demeyer, University of Antwerp.
2012 – Licentiate of Technology (Tekn. Lic.) in Software Engineering, Lund University
Department of Computer Science, Lund University, Sweden. Thesis: Advancing Trace Recovery Evaluation – Applied Information Retrieval in a Software Engineering Context. Supervisors: Per Runeson and Björn Regnell Thesis discussant: Prof. Robert Feldt, Chalmers University of Technology.
2009 – University Diploma in Computer Science (Högskoleexamen Datavetenskap), Malmö University
Faculty of Technology and Society, Malmö University, Sweden. Courses focused on software engineering.
2007 – MSc in Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering (Civ.Ing. Datateknik), Lund University
Lund University, Sweden. Courses focused on computer science and real-time systems. Thesis: "Safe Programming Languages for ABB Automation System 800xA", Department of Automatic Control.
Sep 2019 - Oct 2019 Software Verification and Validation Lab led by Prof. Lionel Briand, SnT, University of Luxembourg. Jul 2014 - Aug 2014 ABB India Development Center, Bangalore, India. Oct 2011 - Mar 2012 Realsearch Group led by Prof. Laurie Williams, North Carolina State University, US.
Jan 2013 – Jan 2019 Completed 12 massive open online courses (machine learning, statistics) provided by Coursera Nov 2008 C++ Best Practices and Design Patterns: Hands-On (4 days, Learning Tree International) Nov 2007 Intro. to C++ for Java and C Programmers: Hands-On (4 days, Learning Tree International) Mar 2006 – Jul 2006 Erasmus exchange student at Technische Universität Hamburg-Harburg, Germany. Jun 2004 – Dec 2004 German course with internship, IS Internationella Skolorna, Düsseldorf, Germany.
Positions and Industrial Experience
Sep 2015 – Sep 2022, Senior researcher, RISE Research Institutes of Sweden AB
Lund, Sweden. Conducting applied research with the Humanized Autonomy unit in the Digital Systems division. Previously with the Software and Systems Engineering Laboratory as part of SICS. Successful grant applications, research, and project management related to applied projects on software testing and software quality. Parental leave (90%) Jan 2016 - Aug 2016. Parental leave (80%) Nov 2019 - Mar 2020.
Jan 2017 – current, Adjunct senior lecturer (20%), Lund University
Dept. of Computer Science, Lund University, Sweden. Course responsible for introductory course on software engineering. Lectures, exercises, projects, examination, and administration.
Apr 2018 – Apr 2022, Board member, Swedsoft
Swedsoft, Stockholm, Sweden. www.swedsoft.se
Mar 2015 – Sep 2015, Temporary lecturer, Lund University
Dept. of Computer Science, Lund University, Sweden. Course responsible for introductory course on software engineering (217 students). Lectures, exercises, projects, examination, and administration. Research with international collaborators.
Jan 2010 – Mar 2015, PhD student, Lund University
Software Engineering Research Group, Dept. of Computer Science, Lund University, Sweden. - Research in close collaboration with industry through the Industrial Excellence Center EASE. - Teaching in basic and advanced courses at the department - Supervision of five master thesis projects and one bachelor thesis project - Developed research prototypes for decision support in large software engineering contexts, implementing various state-of-the-art techniques (e.g., information retrieval, machine learning, and recommendation systems) - Published empirical studies involving both quantitative and qualitative research methods (e.g., case studies, controlled experiments, surveys, and simulations) - Development within existing courses (e.g. improved infrastructure, created new labs)
Sep 2007 – Jan 2010, Development engineer, ABB
ABB AB, Malmö, Sweden - Compiler and editor development for automation languages (IEC 61131-3) - Safety-critical C/C++ development (IEC 61508 and IEC 61511) - Application development in .Net (C# and VB.Net) and VB6 - Test automation and regression testing
Jan 2007 – Sep 2007, Thesis student, ABB
ABB Automation Technologies AB, Malmö, Sweden - Explored incremental Java migration using a research prototype for Java-to-C compilation (LJRT – Lund Java-based Real-Time)
Aug 2004 – Dec 2004, Engineering intern, Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, Cologne, Germany - Internship at team managing electronic data interchange with Ford (Odette FTP) - Technical documentation - Communication with subcontractors (mail/phone in German)
Statement on Impact
The ambition to make practically relevant contributions permeates my work. Since measuring relevant impact is hard, a qualitative reflection is needed. In my view, the primary way to make an impact on practice is through students. By teaching courses and supervising MSc thesis projects, I share knowledge and inspire future engineers to create value through high-quality software.
Measurable impact includes: - Teaching introductory software engineering to students on a yearly basis. Responsible for introducing the topic to ~700 students (2015-2022). - Advisor of 28 thesis students (2011-2022). - Co-supervisor of two PhD students (2017-2022) - Work on machine learning for automated bug assignment saves time at Ericsson. - Co-author and/or contributor to reports and letters from Swedsoft. - A co-authored paper on practical relevance of software engineering research.
Dr. Markus Borg has authored more than 75 scientific publications including: - A book chapter on recommendation systems for issue management in software engineering: http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-45135-5_18 - Two research articles in IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering - Five research articles in Empirical Software Engineering Dr. Markus Borg has an h-index of 21 (Google Scholar, Oct 2022). The complete list of publications can be found on Google Scholar.
Awards and Recognition
- Best Paper Award, 9th Swedish Workshop on Data Science, Växjö, Sweden, 2021. - Distinguished Paper Award, 45th Euromicro Conference on Software Engineering and Advanced Applications, Kallithea, Greece, 2019. - Listed as one of the top 15 "Rising SE Stars" and "Most Active Early Stage SE Researchers" based on a bibliometric assessment of top software engineering scholars (2010–2017). - Distinguished Paper Award, 44th Euromicro Conference on Software Engineering and Advanced Applications, Prague, Czech Republic, 2018. - Best Tool Demonstration Award, 11th IEEE Conference on Software Testing, Verification and Validation, Västerås, Sweden, 2018. - Outstanding Reviewer Reward, e-Informatica Software Engineering Journal, 2016. - Certified Sentinel of Science Award Recipient, Top 10% Computer Science Reviewer, Publons, 2016. - Distinguished Paper Award, 6th International Conference on Agile Software Development, 2015 - Scholarship (SEK 21,400) for Higher Technical Education, Ernhold Lundström's Foundation, 2014. - Scholarship (SEK 25,000) for Higher Technical Education, Ernhold Lundström's Foundation, 2013. - Scholarship (SEK 15,700) for Higher Technical Education, Ernhold Lundström's Foundation, 2011.
Grading Committees and External Assessments - Mohammad Nouman Zafar, "Model-based System Testing of Safety-Critical Embedded Software", Mälardalen University, Västerås, Sweden, 2022-10-03. (Licentiate Thesis) - Cristina Gatt, "Investigating the Application of Imitation Learning in Automated Software Testing", University of Malta, 2022-05-21. (MSc Thesis) - Khaled Walid Al-Sabbagh, "Handling Noise For Improving Machine Learning Based Test Selection", Chalmers, Sweden, 2021-11-16. (Licentiate Thesis) - Miriam Ugarte Querejeta, "Simulation-based Runtime Testing and Adaptation of Cyber-Physical Systems using Digital Twins", Mondragon University, Spain, 2021-03-29 (Research plan assessment) - Salome Honest Maro, "Improving Software Traceability Tools and Processes", Chalmers, Sweden, 2020-09-03. - Raja Ben Abdessalem, "Effective Testing of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems using Evolutionary Algorithms and Machine Learning", SnT, University of Luxembourg, 2019-05-14. Organization - General chair of the International Workshop on Requirements Engineering and Testing (RET) in 2017. Co-organizer of RET in 2014-2016, and 2018. Steering commitee member since 2019. - Industrial Innovations co-chair of the 29th IEEE International Requirements Engineering Conference in 2021. Posters and tool demos co-chair of the 26th International Working Conference on Requirements Engineering: Foundation for Software Quality in 2020. - Co-organizer of the Workshop on NEXt level of Test Automation in 2018 and 2019. - Publicity chair of the 5th International Workshop on Software Engineering Research and Industrial Practice in 2018. Editorial Boards - Empirical Software Engineering, 2021- - e-Informatica Software Engineering Journal, 2016- Program Committees (selected) - International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE) in 2020, 2021, and 2023. - International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering and Measurement (ESEM) in 2016-2019 (Short Papers and Posters) - Evaluation and Assessment in Software Engineering Conference (EASE) in 2017-2019 (Short Papers) - IEEE International Requirements Engineering Conference (RE'17 - Industry track, RE'18-19 RE@NEXT! track) - IEEE International Conference on Software Analysis, Evolution and Reengineering (SANER) in 2022 (Industry Track) - IEEE International Conference on Research Challenges in Information Science in 2017-2019 - International Conference on Evaluation of Novel Approaches to Software Engineering (ENASE'17) - Euromicro Conference on Software Engineering and Advanced Applications (SEAA) in 2018-2019. - International Workshops on Next Generation of System Assurance Approaches for Safety-Critical Systems (SASSUR) in 2013-2019. - Workshop on Automating Test Case Design, Selection and Evaluation (A-TEST) in 2017-2019. - Workshop on Trends in Enterprise Architecture Management (TEAR) in 2016-2019. Refereeing (selected) - IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering - ACM Transactions on Software Engineering Methodology - Empirical Software Engineering - Information and Software Technology - Journal of Systems and Software - Software Quality Journal - Expert Systems with Applications Complete list available on Publons.
Research Collaborations Academia (selected)
- Lund University, Sweden - Blekinge Institute of Technology, Sweden - University of Antwerp, Belgium - Mälardalen University, Sweden - Chalmers Institute of Technology, Sweden
Research Collaborations Industry (selected)
- Ericsson (tool development and joint projects: EASE, TESTOMAT) - Sony Mobile (joint project: EASE, three MSc thesis projects) - Verifyter (joint project: TESTOMAT, two MSc thesis projects) - System Verification (joint project: TESTOMAT) - Codescene (joint project: TESTOMAT) - ABB Corporate Research (extended research visits to the US and India) - Qlik (one MSc thesis project, co-authored publication)
Invited Talks and Panel Participation (selected)
Ergo, SMIRK is Safe: A Safety Case for a ML Component in a Pedestrian Emergency Brake System - Invited talk, 10th Scandinavian Conference on System & Software Safety, November 22, 2022.
Code Red: The Business Impact of Code Quality - Invited talk, SAP Engineering Ecosystem, November 17, 2022.
Using Search-Based Software Testing to Guide the Strive for Robust Machine Learning Components - In Light of ISO 21448 SOTIF - Invited talk, Hanze University Groningen, Jun 20, 2022.
Using Search-Based Software Testing to Guide the Strive for Robust Machine Learning Components - Lessons Learned Across Systems and Simulators in the Mobility Domain - Keynote, 6th Int'l Workshop on Testing Extra-Functional and Quality Characteristics of Software Systems Apr 4, 2022. Agility in Software 2.0 – Notebook Interfaces and MLOps with Buttresses and Rebars - Keynote, 6th Int'l Conf. on Lean and Agile Software Development, Jan 22, 2022. (paper, video) AI and Testing. Testing and AI. Highlights From the Test Automation Research Front - Invited virtual talk at Joint Academy, Nov 11, 2021. Trained, Not Coded - Toward Safe AI in the Automotive Domain - ISE Summer School 2020, Virtual Bolzano, Jul 1, 2020. (link) Trained, Not Coded - Beauty in Software 2.0 (recorded) - Beauty in Code Conference, Malmö, Mar 7, 2020. - 9th Software Technology Exchange Workshop, Swedsoft, Virtual, Jan 22, 2021. - Science! by Infotiv, Virtual, Apr 8, 2021. Trained, Not Coded - Still Safe? - 8th Software Technology Exchange Workshop, Swedsoft, Lund, Nov 14, 2019. Test Visualization with a Game Engine - 90 min Hands-on session at the A-Test workshop, Tallinn, Estonia, August 26, 2019. Trained, Not Coded - Toward Test Automation for Safe Machine Learning - Test Automation Research for Industry, Stockholm, Sweden, April 11, 2019. Vad är nyttan med AI? Hur tar vi steget mot AI? - Inspirationsturné: Starta din AI-resa, Malmö, Sweden, March 19, 2019. (link) Trained, Not Coded - Approaching Robust Machine Learning by Safety Caging Vehicular Perception - Annual meeting of IFIP 2.9 Requirements Engineering, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, Feb 20, 2019. Explainability First! Cousteauing the Depths of Neural Networks - GI Dagstuhl Seminar on "Explainable Software for Cyber-Physical Systems", Jan 7, 2019. (slides) Test Automation Research... Is that really needed in 2018? - Swedish Association for Software Testing (SAST Väst Q3 Expo), Gothenburg, Sweden, Oct 12, 2018. (slides) Software Engineering in 2030, Industry Forum panel discussion, 40th International Conference on Software Engineering, Gothenburg, Sweden, May 30, 2018. (video) When are Software Testing Research Contributions, Real Contributions? - Panel discussion, 11th IEEE Conference on Software Testing, Verification and Validation, Västerås, Sweden, Apr 11, 2018. (video) Enabling Visual Analytics with Unity - Exploring Regression Test Results in ASIC Verification (slides) - TOCSYC project meeting, Västerås, Nov 17, 2017 Component Sourcing Decisions in Practice - A Survey of Decision Making in Industry (slides) - ORION Industry Day, Karlskrona, Sep 14, 2017 Exploiting with Integrity - Mining User Data to Improve Software Engineering in the Light of Information Ethics - GI Dagstuhl Seminar on "Software Performance Engineering in the DevOps World", Sep 25, 2016 Traceability Reuse for Change Impact Analysis – A Case Study in a Safety Context - Dagstuhl Seminar on "Software and Systems Traceability for Safety-Critical Projects", Apr 14, 2015 - High Integrity Systems Symposium, Simula Research Laboratory, Oslo, Norway, Jun 3, 2015 Impact Analysis in Safety-Critical Systems Development - Swedsoft workshop on "Software – an Industry Domain, or Cross-domain Practices?", Lund, Mar 2, 2015 Automation in the Bug Flow – Machine Learning for Triaging and Tracing (slides) - 3rd Software Technology Exchange Workshop, Swedsoft, Stockholm, Sep 25, 2014 - LUCAS-dagen, Lund, Oct 24, 2014 Recommendation Systems for Issue Management (slides) - LTH-afton at System Verification, Malmö, Nov 27, 2013 - Presentation at Axis Communications, Lund, Apr 29, 2014 - Presentation at Ericsson, Lund, Jul 1, 2014 Automated Linking of Natural Language Software Artifacts – A Research Overview - LUCAS-dagen, Lund, Oct 21, 2010.
Teaching at Lund University
ETSA01/02/03 Software Engineering Process – Methodology (2010-2015, 2017-2022)
- Course responsible in 2015, 2017-2022 - Course development, lectures, project supervision, exercises, creating/correcting exams - Open source on GitHub since 2018 - Runner-up of the 2015 golden pointer teaching award by the "D student guild"
EDAN70/90 Project in Computer Science (2020)
- Supervisor of small projects connected to ongoing research.
IYT000 Engineering Training Course (2019-2020)
- Supervisor of interns in industry.
EDA016 Programming, First Course – for C, D (2010-2015)
- Exercises and assignments
ETSF01 Software Engineering Process – Economy and Quality (2010, 2012-2014)
- Project supervision, exercises
ETS200 Software Testing (2011, 2013-2015)
- Developed a new lab on debugging - Project supervision, lab supervision
ETS672 Requirements Engineering (2010)
- Exercises, lab supervision
ETSN05 Software Development for Large Systems (2013)
- Project supervision
Mathematics, Analysis in one variable (2006)
- Exercises (2006)
Advisor and Supervisor (Bachelor and Master Level)
19. Quality Assurance of Generative Dialog Models in an Evolving Conversational Agent Used for Swedish Language Practice J. Bengtsson, 2022 (MSc) (link) - Action research with NordAxon to automate quality assurance of an open-domain conversational agent. - Published as a conference paper at CAIN22. 18. Concretizing CRISP-DM for Data-Driven Financial Decision Support Tools S. Grimheden and J. Järlesäter, 2022 (MSc) (link) - Tailored the CRISP-DM data mining model for the domain of data-driven financial decision support. 17. Multilingual Large Scale Text Classification for Troubleshooting Management J. Curman and A. Romell, 2022 (MSc) (link) - Explored pre-trained transformer-based language models to support issue management for Scania's workshops. 16. Evaluating ClickHouse as a Big Data Processing Solution for IoT-Telemetry O. Wändesjö and A. Göransson, 2022 (MSc) (link) - Compared the performance of the OLAP DBMS ClickHouse to Elasticsearch and MinIO for large-scale IoT telemetry data. Done at Axis Communications, Lund. 15. Classifying Brain Activity Using Electroencephalography and Automated Time Tracking of Computer Use E. Bjäreholt, 2021 (MSc) (link, code) - Trained classifiers on EEG data to distinguish between different user activities, especially code vs. prose comprehension. 14. Bridging the Bap Between Local Machines and Cloud Notebooks J. Henriksson and M. Jacobsson, 2021 (MSc) (link) - Evaluated a networked file system at Backtick to enable data scientists to mix cloud notebooks and local development environments. - Constituted one of two core parts of the LASD22 keynote address. 13. Dynamic Bandwidth Control for Improving 5G Network Resource Utilization in Cloud Radio Access Networks D. Isaksson and A. Lidfeldt, 2021 (MSc) - Developed a simulation environment at Ericsson to evaluate network provisioning strategies. 12. Predicting Bugs to Reduce Debugging Time O. Werneman, 2021 (MSc) - Trained machine learning models at Verifyter for risk-based bug prediction. - Published as a conference paper at DVCon 2021. 11. Test Case Prioritization Using AHP and Customer Usage Profiles for Regression Testing M. Svensson, 2019 (MSc), Report - Developed proof-of-concept of optimized regression test ordering. Done at ASSA Abloy Global Solutions, Landskrona. 10. SZZ Unleashed: Bug Prediction on the Jenkins Core Repository K. Berg and O. Svensson, 2018 (MSc) - Open-sourced an implementation of the SZZ algorithm and trained a machine learning model to predict error-prone commits for the Jenkins repository. Done at Axis Communications, Lund. - Published as a (well-cited!) workshop paper at MaLTeSQuE 2019. 9. Categorizing Software Defects using Machine Learning V. Stagge, 2018 (MSc) - Implemented and trained a deep hierarchical attention network to classify crash reports at Sony Mobile, Lund. 8. Crowdsourcing Architectural Decision Making by Text Mining I. Lennerstad, 2017 (MSc) - Exploring active learning and self-training when mining Stack Overflow. - Published as short paper at EASE17. 7. Semantic Distances in an Issue Tracker M. Nasser, 2017 (MSc) - Tracing issues from various development and customer service at Sony Mobile, Lund. 6. Vad karaktäriserar komplexa ärenden i mjukvaruprojekt? F. Cicek and S. Afghani, 2015 (MSc) - Web development and case study at CGI, Malmö. 5. Visualisering som verktyg vid systemutveckling B. Torstensson, 2015 (BSc) - Case study on how visualizations are used during development of a software-intensive system. 4. Navigating Information Overload Caused by Automated Testing N. Erman and V. Tufvesson, 2014 (MSc) - Project conducted at Qlik, Lund. - Thesis selected for honorary mention at LTH graduation ceremony. - Published as full paper at ICST15. 3. Development of a Decision Support System for Defect Reports L. Olofsson and P. Gullin, 2014 (MSc) - Project conducted at Sony Mobile Communications, Lund. - Published in Tiny Transactions on Computer Science, Volume 4, 2016. 2. Beyond Textual Information in Defect Duplicate Detection: An Exploratory Study in the Android Issue Tracker J. Johansson, 2014 (MSc) - Published as a short paper at the ESEM14. 1. Requirements Traceability Recovery - A Study of Available Tools L. Brodén, 2011 (MSc) - Resulted in a full paper at EASE12.
- Introduction to Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 3 ECTS - Communicating Science, 5 ECTS - Supervision in Theory and Practice, 2 ECTS - Readership Course, 3 ECTS
M. Borg, J. Kembro, J. Notander, C. Petersson, and L. Ohlsson. Conflict Management in Student Groups - A Teacher's Perspective in Higher Education, Högre utbildning, 1(2), pp. 111-124, 2011. E. Bjarnason, M. Borg, and B. Lindvall. Supervising for Independence – A Case Study of Master Science Projects in Higher Education, In Proc. of LU:s femte högskolepedagogiska utvecklingskonferens, 2015. M. Borg. Do Preparatory Programming Lab Sessions Contribute to Even Work Distribution in Student Teams?, In Proc. of the 42nd International Conference on Software Engineering: Companion Proceedings, 2020. M. Borg. Making Programming Lab Sessions Mandatory - On Student Work Distribution in a Gamified Project Course on Market-Driven Software Engineering, In Proc. of the 32nd Conference on Software Engineering Education and Training (CSEE&T), 2020.
President of Malmö Racketlon since 2013 and a keen promoter of the sport. Responsible for organizing Swedish Open 2014-2018, a tournament on the racketlon world tour attracting roughly 150 players (> $10,000 budget). Racketlon is the racket sport cousin of triathlon, combining table tennis, badminton, squash and tennis into a unique sport. Also a member of the board of the Swedish Racketlon Federation since 2015.